Getting your CDL in Kansas

General Information On Getting your CDL In Kansas

Getting your CDL in Kansas:

To obtain a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) in Kansas, you need to meet specific requirements and complete a series of steps. The process involves gathering documentation, passing written and skills tests, and paying the necessary fees. Here’s a general overview:

1. Eligibility Requirements:
– You must be at least 18 years old to drive within Kansas and 21 years old to drive across state lines or transport hazardous materials.
– You should hold a valid Kansas driver’s license.
– You must provide proof of your Social Security Number.

2. Documentation:
– Gather the required documentation, including proof of identity (e.g., birth certificate, passport), proof of residency, and proof of Social Security Number.
– You may also need to provide documents verifying your legal presence in the United States.

3. CDL Written Test:
– Study the Kansas Commercial Driver’s License Manual thoroughly.
– Visit a local Kansas Division of Vehicles (DOV) office to take the written CDL exam.
– The exam covers general knowledge, specific vehicle classes, air brakes (if applicable), and any additional endorsements you seek.

4. CDL Skills Test:
– Schedule an appointment at a DOV office or an authorized third-party testing location to take the CDL skills test.
– The skills test consists of three parts: pre-trip vehicle inspection, basic vehicle control, and on-road driving.
– You’ll need to provide the appropriate vehicle for each test, such as a commercial vehicle of the appropriate class.

5. Medical Examination:
– Obtain a medical examination from a certified medical examiner.
– The medical examiner will complete the Medical Examination Report (MER) and provide you with a Medical Examiner’s Certificate (MEC).

6. Fees:
– The fees for obtaining a CDL in Kansas can vary. As of my knowledge cutoff in September 2021, the fee for a Class A, B, or C CDL was $34 for a four-year license and $11 for each endorsement.
– Additional fees may apply for duplicates, skills tests, and other services.

Please note that the fees and specific procedures may have changed since my last update. To get the most accurate and up-to-date information, please visit the official website of the Kansas Division of Vehicles (DOV) or contact your local DOV office in Kansas. They will provide you with the current requirements and fees for obtaining a CDL in Kansas.

Commercial Driver’s License

IMPORTANT: Effective on or after July 1, 2018, Kansas law (KSA 8-2, 157) will require all CDL holders to complete Truckers Against Trafficking training before being issued or renewing their CDL license.

The training involves watching a brief educational film and successfully answering questions about it. This video and test takes about 30 minutes and is free of charge. It must be completed only once, not each time a driver renews.

The required training can be completed online at the Truckers Against Trafficking (TAT) website ( or at any full service driver’s license exam office across the state. A printed certificate of completion will be offered upon successful completion of the online training and must be presented at the time of issuance or renewal of their CDL. Individuals who have previously completed TAT training before the requirement went into effect and who have received their certificate of completion will not be required to take the training again, but will need to present their certificate at the time of issuance or renewal.

If you are issued or renew before July 1, 2018 the certificate will not be required or accepted until your next renewal.

Please note, conducting the training online and presenting the examiner with a printed certificate will reduce your time spent at the exam station.

Semi truck driver


You must have a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) to operate any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight of 26,001 pounds or more or a combination vehicle with a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 or more pounds.

CDL information

Reciprocity Agreements with Nebraska, Missouri and Oklahoma

Kansas has entered into reciprocity agreements with Nebraska and Missouri relating to Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) requirements and farm use.

Contact Vehicles Regarding Your Commercial Driver’s License

Telephone (available Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm)