Getting Your CDL In Maryland

Getting your CDL in Maryland

Getting your CDL in Maryland

How to get a CDL in Maryland

1. Obtain a Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP). You must be at least 18 years old, and have a valid driver’s license. You must also pass the knowledge and vision tests.

2. Complete the required classroom and behind-the-wheel training. Maryland requires that you complete a minimum of 60 hours of classroom study and at least 20 hours of behind-the-wheel training at an approved school.

3. Pass the CDL skills tests. You must take the CDL skills tests at an MVA office. These tests include a pre-trip inspection, basic vehicle control, on-road driving and an air brake test.

4. Apply for a CDL. After you have completed your training and passed the skills tests, you must apply for a CDL at your local MVA office. You must provide proof of identity, Social Security number, proof of residency, medical certification and the appropriate fees.

5. Get your Maryland CDL. Once you have been approved, you will receive a temporary Maryland CDL. Your permanent card will be mailed to you within five weeks. and prices

To obtain a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) in Maryland, you need to meet specific requirements and complete a series of steps. The process involves gathering documentation, passing written and skills tests, and paying the necessary fees. Here’s a general overview:

  1. Eligibility Requirements:

    • You must be at least 18 years old to drive within Maryland and 21 years old to drive across state lines or transport hazardous materials.
    • You should hold a valid Maryland driver’s license.
    • You must provide proof of your Social Security Number.
  2. Documentation:

    • Gather the required documentation, including proof of identity (e.g., birth certificate, passport), proof of residency, and proof of Social Security Number.
    • You may also need to provide documents verifying your legal presence in the United States.
  3. CDL Written Test:

    • Study the Maryland Commercial Driver’s License Manual thoroughly.
    • Visit a local Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) office to take the written CDL exam.
    • The exam covers general knowledge, specific vehicle classes, air brakes (if applicable), and any additional endorsements you seek.
  4. CDL Skills Test:

    • Schedule an appointment at an MVA office or an authorized third-party testing location to take the CDL skills test.
    • The skills test consists of three parts: pre-trip vehicle inspection, basic vehicle control, and on-road driving.
    • You’ll need to provide the appropriate vehicle for each test, such as a commercial vehicle of the appropriate class.
  5. Medical Examination:

    • Obtain a medical examination from a certified medical examiner.
    • The medical examiner will complete the Medical Examination Report (MER) and provide you with a Medical Examiner’s Certificate (MEC).
  6. Fees:

    • The fees for obtaining a CDL in Maryland can vary. As of my knowledge cutoff in September 2021, the fee for a Class A or B CDL was $70 for a five-year license, and the fee for a Class C CDL was $50 for a five-year license.
    • Additional fees may apply for duplicates, skills tests, and other services.

Please note that the fees and specific procedures may have changed since my last update. To get the most accurate and up-to-date information, please visit the official website of the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) or contact your local MVA office in Maryland. They will provide you with the current requirements and fees for obtaining a CDL in Maryland.


Please bring proof of your age, identity, and Maryland residence with you when you come to the MVA. Please refer to sources of proof for the required documentation.

If you have a Limited Term-“T” restricted driver’s license, you may apply for a commercial learner’s permit as long as you reside in Maryland, and can provide the following federally-required documents:

  • Unexpired employment authorization documents (EAD), form I-766; or
  • Unexpired foreign passport with current admission stamp and/or I-94.


The MVA has received guidance from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA) that a Mexican or Canadian national with an Employment Authorization Document may not obtain a non-domiciled CDL. In order to obtain a CDL, in accordance with federal regulation 49 CFR Sections 383.71(f) and 383.73(f), Mexican and Canadian nationals will have to obtain documentation of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residence. The list of acceptable documentation includes the following:

  1. U.S. Passport
  2. U.S. Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization
  3. Consular report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)
  4. Certified copy of a birth certificate filed with a U.S. State Office of Vital Statistics or equivalent agency in the individual’s state of birth, including Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands
  5. Permanent Resident Card

The Maryland Department of Transportation’s Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) is now printing/mailing one of the most secure driver’s licenses, learner’s permits and identification (ID) cards in the nation. All cards are now delivered through the mail within 4-7 business days. The new cards incorporate cutting-edge security features to help protect against identity theft and fraud. The new cards also meet all state and federal standards and are REAL ID compliant. As always, we encourage customers to Skip the Trip and renew their driver’s license or ID card via web, kiosk and mail. The MVA’s online services can be found here. Much more information on our new secure cards, including how to expedite delivery of the new products, can be found here.

A commercial driver license holder with a HAZMAT endorsement​ must undergo a criminal background check, including a fingerprint process. (U.S.A. Patriot Act).

Drivers of heavy trucks, buses and vehicles placarded for hazardous materials must have a special commercial driver’s license with proper endorsements. Vehicles over 26,000 lbs., buses designed to transport 16 or more passengers including the driver, all school buses, mobile cranes, uncoupled tractors (i.e., bob tails), and most tow trucks are included.

  • You must be 18 years old to obtain a learner’s permit for an intrastate commercial driver’s license, 21 years of age for an interstate one. In addition, you must also have a full Maryland driver’s license (not a motorcycle license).
  • You may be required to provide documented proof of your social security number. Your name must match the Social Security Administration’s records to be verified by their files. If you change your name, you must update your file with the Social Security Administration (not at the MVA) and it may take a minimum of 48 hours or longer for them to update their records with your name change.
    • You must pass a vision screening and knowledge test.
    • Out-of-state learner’s permits cannot be exchanged for a Maryland learner’s permit or license.
    • A valid U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) physical card and a valid intrastate or interstate waiver/exemption if required. A “MCSA-5876 – Medical Examiner Certificate” is provided by a National Registered Medical Examiner only. For additional information, please contact The CDL Medical Waiver Information Packet​ for an intrastate or interstate waiver is also available.

In Maryland, all commercial driving (CDL) applicants are required to present valid Med Cert documentation (DOT card, skills performance evaluation, waiver exemption, etc.) whether they are applying for a new license or they are renewing, duplicating or correcting a commercial driver’s license. Commercial drivers are also required to submit updated Med Cert documentation to the MVA for the duration of their license. In addition, all commercial drivers are required to “self-certify” regarding the type of commercial driving they will be doing (dependent on type of commerce and/or their medical qualifications).CDL holders are no longer required to submit a self-certification form when updating their medical certification. The self-certification will only be required when a customer is obtaining a new CDL’s, transferring a CDL, renewing a CDL, upgrading a license to a CDL, or changing their status from intrastate to interstate or vice versa. If a waiver/exemption is needed, it should be submitted along with the medical certification card.

If you already hold a learner’s permit and want to obtain a new one, you must reapply and provide the same documents you initially provided. You will also be required to pay the fee and retake the vision screening and knowledge test. Please refer to sources of proof​ for the required documentation.

For more information on adding an endorsement to your Maryland commercial driver’s license, please click here​. Or call 1-410-424-3011.


Trucking Schools In Maryland