Getting your CDL In Nevada

Getting your CDL In Nevada

To get a commercial driver’s license (CDL) in Nevada, you must be at least 18 years old and hold a valid Nevada driver’s license. You will also need to pass a vision test, a written knowledge test, and a skills test. The skills test includes a pre-trip inspection, basic control skills test, and an on-road driving test.

You may need to obtain additional endorsements for certain types of commercial driving, such as hazardous materials or school buses. Before taking any tests, it is recommended that you study the Nevada Commercial Driver’s License Manual, which can be found on the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles website.

Additionally, you must provide proof of citizenship or lawful permanent residency, and pass a medical examination by a certified medical examiner listed on the National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners. Once you have passed all tests and met all requirements, you can apply for your CDL at any Nevada DMV office.

To obtain a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) in Nevada, you need to go through a process that includes meeting certain requirements, completing training, passing written and practical exams, and paying the necessary fees. Please note that the information provided is based on the knowledge available up until September 2021, and there may have been updates or changes since then. It’s always best to consult the official website of the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) for the most accurate and up-to-date information.

Here is a general outline of the CDL process in Nevada:

1. Determine the CDL Class: Nevada offers several classes of CDL, including Class A, Class B, and Class C, depending on the type of vehicle you plan to operate.

2. Eligibility Requirements: Ensure you meet the basic requirements set by the Nevada DMV. You must be at least 18 years old for an intrastate CDL (within Nevada) or 21 years old for an interstate CDL (across state lines). You must have a valid regular driver’s license and provide proof of citizenship or legal presence in the United States.

3. Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP): Before obtaining a CDL, you will need to obtain a Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP). To get a CLP, you need to pass a written knowledge test specific to the class of CDL you’re seeking. The test covers topics like general knowledge, air brakes (if applicable), combination vehicles (if applicable), and any endorsements you may need. You must also pass a vision screening and provide proper identification.

4. CDL Training: While not mandatory, it is highly recommended to enroll in a CDL training program to receive professional instruction and hands-on training. CDL training programs can be found at commercial driving schools or community colleges. These programs help prepare you for the CDL skills test and provide valuable knowledge and experience.

5. Skills Test: Once you’ve obtained your CLP and completed your training, you can schedule an appointment with the Nevada DMV to take the CDL skills test. The skills test typically includes a pre-trip inspection, basic vehicle control, and an on-road driving test. You may also need to complete additional tests for specific endorsements.

6. Endorsements: If you plan to operate vehicles with additional features or requirements, such as carrying hazardous materials, transporting passengers, or driving a tanker, you may need to obtain specific endorsements. Endorsements require additional written tests and possibly additional skills tests.

7. Fees: The fees associated with obtaining a CDL in Nevada may vary. As of my knowledge cutoff in September 2021, the base fee for a CDL in Nevada is $55.25 for an eight-year license. There may be additional fees for specific endorsements or other services. These fees are subject to change, so it’s best to check the Nevada DMV website or contact their office directly for the most current fee information.

It’s important to note that additional costs may arise, such as those related to CDL training programs, medical examinations, and background checks.

For the most accurate and up-to-date information on CDL requirements and fees in Nevada, please refer to the official website of the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles or contact their office directly.

Nevada Residents Only!

Nevada does not issue “Non-Domiciled” Commercial Learner Permits to residents of other U.S. jurisdictions.


Green Semi Truck

Training Requirements

Entry-level commercial drivers must complete training from a provider listed in the federal 

. This includes drivers applying to:

  • obtain a Class A or Class B CDL for the first time;
  • upgrade an existing Class B CDL to a Class A CDL; or
  • obtain a school bus (S), passenger (P), or
  • (H) endorsement for the first time.

Applicants must successfully complete training before they will be permitted to take the CDL skills test or, in the case of the H endorsement, the knowledge test.

The regulations do not apply to individuals that are not required to have a CDL as outlined in 

. This includes military members, firefighters and others.

Visit the 

 for a list of providers and more details on exemptions and the ELDT program.

Nevada-based schools must also have a DMV Business License. Make sure your school is listed in



New Training Requirements for Entry-Level CDL Drivers

CLP Requirements

Nevada issues Commercial Learner Permits (CLP) that are valid for 180 days. You must obtain a CLP if:

  • this is an initial issuance of a CDL
  • you are upgrading a CDL to a higher class, adding an endorsement or removing a restriction that requires a skills test and the upgrade requires a skills test
  • your CDL privileges have been invalid for more than 4 years

How to Apply

You must apply in person at a

and meet the following requirements:

  • Hold a valid Nevada non-commercial or commercial driver’s license
  • Present
  • as outlined below.
  • Certify the type of driving you will do. See
  • .
  • Present a valid Medical Examination Certificate if required.
  • Pass all of the required knowledge tests for your license class and endorsements.
  • Interpreters are not allowed for testing.
  • List all states where you have held any commercial or non-commercial driver’s license in the past ten years. We will check your driving history in each state.
  • You must complete an Application for Commercial Driving Privileges (CDL 002):

  |    |  

  • Fees are listed on the CDL Offices page.

License Classes and Endorsements

You must choose which class of CDL you will receive based on the type of vehicle you will be driving. See the following:

  • Do you know what Vehicle Inspection or Basic Control Skills Test will you take? Sometime in 2023 or 2024, the state will adopt the modernized version of the Vehicle Inspection and Basic Controls Skills Test. Please study both versions, and when scheduling a testing appointment, ask what system you will be tested under.

A CLP may have only the following endorsements. No others may be listed.

  • Passenger (P). The P restriction must be added.
  • School Bus (S). The P restriction must be added.
  • Tanker (N). The X restriction must be added.

All other endorsements are added to the CDL once you pass the appropriate knowledge test.

For more information on school buses, see Section 10 of the


If you wish to change vehicle class, endorsements or restrictions that require a skills test, you must obtain a new CLP and all CLP rules start over.

  • Age Restrictions

    Age Restrictions

    • You must be at least 21 years of age to be issued a CDL to operate a commercial motor vehicle in interstate commerce and to receive endorsements for passengers or
    • .
    • You must be at least 25 to receive an endorsement for vehicle combinations over 70 feet in length.
    • CDLs issued to applicants age 18 to 20 will contain Restriction R (no passengers or hazmat) and Restriction 2 (intrastate commerce only).
  • Driving with a CLP

    Driving with a CLP

    You may drive only under the direct supervision of a CDL holder who:

    • Is at least 25 years of age
    • Has been issued a CDL for the proper class and endorsements necessary for the type of vehicle being operated
    • Has had at least 1 year of licensed commercial driving experience in the class and endorsement necessary for the type of vehicle for which the CLP was issued
    • Must at all times be physically present in the front seat of the vehicle next to the CLP holder, or in the case of a passenger vehicle, directly behind or in the first row behind the driver

    A CLP holder with a (N) tanker endorsement may only operate an empty tank vehicle and is prohibited from operating any tank vehicle that previously contained hazardous materials that has not been purged of any residue.

  • CLP Expiration and Renewal

    CLP Expiration and Renewal

    A Commercial Learner’s Permit is valid for 180 days from the date of issuance. Permits can be renewed, but you may have to retake tests.

    Plan ahead and avoid these pitfalls:

    • If you renew your CLP, you will need to retake all CDL skills tests even if you have passed one or more portions. Skills tests may not be banked.
    • If your CLP is expired for more than 30 days, you must retake all knowledge tests.
    • If you renew your CLP a second time, you must retake all knowledge tests.
  • Skills Testing

    Skills Testing

    You must hold a CLP for at least 14 days prior to any skills test. If your testing will be done by a Third Party Certifier, it must be scheduled at least four days in advance. Interpreters are not allowed during skills testing.

    • DMV skills tests are administered only by appointment at
    • . Be sure to review the Skills Test Requirements.
    • A number of larger companies and organizations employ Third-Party Certifiers to test their employees.
    • Some commercial driving schools employ Third Party Certifiers.

    The fee to complete a CLP and issue a CDL is $58.25.

  • Out of State Issues and Answers

    Out of State Issues and Answers

    • Nevada CLP holders may complete their skills tests in another state.
    • Out-of-state CLP holders may not be skills tested in Nevada.
    • Nevada does not issue “Non-Domiciled” CLPs.
Truck Driver

Proof of Identity and Residency

All documents must be valid originals or certified copies that were issued in the United States (except foreign passports). The DMV does not accept photocopies.

You may choose a either Real ID compliant license or a standard CDL. Please review the following lists and choose the card that is right for you.

Real ID driver license

An ID card issued in compliance with the Real ID Act of 2005 is marked by a gold Nevada outline with a star cutout. It is a valid ID for boarding aircraft, entering federal facilities where ID is required or entering nuclear power plants.

See the

for more. Visit for an interactive checklist or



You must present all of the following:

  • Proof of Identity (one document) AND
  • If you have changed your name, Proof of All Name Change(s) AND
  • Proof of Social Security number (one document) AND
  • Proof of your Nevada residential address (two documents)

Proof of Identity


Present one of the following:

  • Valid Real ID driver’s license, instruction permit, or identification card from another state
    A license or ID that does not meet Real ID requirements is not accepted. A Real ID card marked “Limited Term” is not accepted; immigration documents must be shown.
  • Valid, unexpired United States Passport or United States Passport Card
  • Valid Enhanced Driver’s License from a U.S. state
  • U.S. state-issued birth certificate (original or certified copy)
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240)
  • Certificate of Naturalization (N-550)
  • Certificate of Citizenship (N-560)
  • Permanent Resident Card (I-551).
    If the card is expired, you must also present a Notice of Action (I-797) showing an approved extension. The old pink version of the I-551, called the “Resident Alien Card,” that contains no expiration date is also acceptable.
  • Valid, unexpired foreign passport with an I-94 stamped “Processed for I-551.”
  • Unexpired Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
  • Valid, unexpired Foreign Passport with an unexpired U.S. Visa and an I-94 form. If the I-94 is expired, you must also present a Notice of Action (I-797) showing an approved extension.

Licenses and ID cards will be marked “LIMITED TERM” when immigration documents are used to prove identity.

Documents we do NOT accept

  • Hospital-issued birth certificates
  • U.S. driver’s licenses or ID cards that do not meet Real ID standards
    Accepted for driving privileges but not for proof of identity
  • Military ID
  • Foreign driver’s licenses or ID cards
  • Foreign birth certificates
  • Border crossing cards
  • Consular identification cards

Proof of Name Change(s)


If your Proof of Identity document contains your current full legal name, you do not need to provide proof of any name change. Skip this section.

If not, you must present documentation of all name change(s) to show how your name changed from the identity document to your current legal name. These documents are accepted:

  • Marriage certificate (government issued)
  • Divorce decree
  • Adoption records
  • Court order

An updated Social Security card is not sufficient proof of a name change. The DMV will use the name exactly as listed.

In a case of multiple name changes, you will be asked for marriage certificates or other proof of each change. Divorce decrees must reference the former name before marriage.

Upon the death of your spouse, you may change your middle and last names back to the names used prior to your marriage. You must present both the death and marriage certificates. The deceased person’s name must match on both.


Proof of Social Security Number


Present one of the following to prove your Social Security number if a number has been issued to you.

  • Social Security Card
  • W-2
  • IRS Form 1099
  • Printed pay stub

Documents must list your current legal name and the complete Social Security number.


Proof of Nevada Residential Address


You must present two of the following documents which show your name and Nevada residential address.

Original printouts from online accounts are accepted.

Original or Certified Copy Dated Within 60 Days

  • Receipt for the rent or lease of a residence
  • Lease of a residence on which the applicant appears as the lessee
  • Record from a public utility for a service address
  • Bank or credit card statement
  • Employment check stub
  • Document from a state or federal court
  • Record, receipt or bill requesting payment
  • Record from an educational institution in Nevada which establishes enrollment or an ID card issued by the educational institution that lists the address
  • Record from a hotel, motel, recreational vehicle park or campground located in Nevada indicating no fewer than 30 days of consecutive residency in this state
  • Voter registration card issued by a county clerk or county registrar of voters pursuant to NRS 293.517
  • Documentation of receipt of benefits from any State of Nevada program of public assistance
  • Leave and Earnings Statement or equivalent or successor form which indicates Nevada residency of an applicant who is a member of the military deployed outside Nevada on active duty
  • Notarized statement from the owner of a residence indicating that the applicant physically resides at the residence

Original or Certified Copy of Last-Issued Document

  • Document issued by an insurance agency or its agent, including, without limitation, an insurance card, binder or bill
  • Record, receipt or bill from a medical provider
  • Tax records other than property taxes
  • Record of property taxes assessed or paid
  • Deed of trust or other documentation of a current mortgage
  • Confidential Address Program (CAP) documents issued pursuant to NRS 217.462‑.471

Department-Approved Forms


Trucking Schools In Nevada