Getting your CDL In Utah

Getting a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) in Utah involves several steps. Here is a general overview of the process and prices associated with obtaining a CDL:

1. Meet the Requirements: To get a CDL in Utah, you must be at least 18 years old for intrastate driving or 21 years old for interstate driving. You should also have a valid Utah driver’s license, pass a medical examination, and provide proof of residency.

2. Study the CDL Manual: Obtain a copy of the Utah CDL Manual from the Utah Department of Public Safety or access it online. Thoroughly study the manual to understand the rules, regulations, and procedures for operating commercial vehicles.

3. Obtain a Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP): Visit a Utah Driver License Division office and apply for a CLP by passing the written knowledge tests specific to the type of CDL you are seeking. The fee for a CLP is $25.

4. Training: Consider enrolling in a CDL training program at a truck driving school. These programs provide classroom instruction and hands-on training to help you gain the necessary skills and knowledge required to pass the CDL skills test.

5. Skills Test: Schedule an appointment with the Utah Driver License Division to take the CDL skills test. This test includes a pre-trip inspection, basic vehicle control, and an on-road driving examination. The fee for the skills test is $47.

6. Background Checks and Endorsements: Depending on the type of CDL you are getting and the endorsements you need, you may be required to undergo additional background checks and pass specialized knowledge tests. The fees for these tests vary depending on the endorsement.

7. License Issuance: Once you have successfully passed all necessary tests, paid the required fees, and completed any additional requirements, you will be issued a Utah CDL. The standard fee for a five-year CDL is $52 and a ten-year CDL is $82.

It’s important to note that the above prices are subject to change, and additional fees may apply depending on your specific circumstances. It is recommended to visit the official Utah Driver License Division website or contact them directly for the most up-to-date and accurate information regarding CDL application fees and procedures.

To obtain a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) in Utah, you need to go through a process that includes meeting specific requirements, completing training, passing written and practical exams, and paying the necessary fees. Please note that the information provided is based on the knowledge available up until September 2021, and there may have been updates or changes since then. It’s always best to consult the official website of the Utah Department of Public Safety (DPS) for the most accurate and up-to-date information.

Here is a general outline of the CDL process in Utah:

  1. Determine the CDL Class: Utah offers several classes of CDL, including Class A, Class B, and Class C, depending on the type of vehicle you plan to operate.

  2. Eligibility Requirements: Ensure you meet the basic requirements set by the Utah DPS. You must be at least 18 years old for an intrastate CDL (within Utah) or 21 years old for an interstate CDL (across state lines). You must have a valid regular driver’s license and provide proof of legal presence in the United States.

  3. Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP): Before obtaining a CDL, you will need to obtain a Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP). To get a CLP, you need to pass a written knowledge test specific to the class of CDL you’re seeking. The test covers topics like general knowledge, air brakes (if applicable), combination vehicles (if applicable), and any endorsements you may need. You must also pass a vision screening and provide proper identification.

  4. CDL Training: While not mandatory, it is highly recommended to complete a CDL training program to receive professional instruction and hands-on training. CDL training programs can be found at commercial driving schools or community colleges. These programs help prepare you for the CDL skills test and provide valuable knowledge and experience.

  5. Skills Test: Once you’ve obtained your CLP and completed your training, you can schedule an appointment with the Utah DPS to take the CDL skills test. The skills test typically includes a pre-trip inspection, basic vehicle control, and an on-road driving test. You may also need to complete additional tests for specific endorsements.

  6. Endorsements: If you plan to operate vehicles with additional features or requirements, such as carrying hazardous materials, transporting passengers, or driving a tanker, you may need to obtain specific endorsements. Endorsements require additional written tests and possibly additional skills tests.

  7. Fees: The fees associated with obtaining a CDL in Utah may vary. As of my knowledge cutoff in September 2021, the base fee for a CDL in Utah is $82.25 for a five-year license. There may be additional fees for specific endorsements or other services. These fees are subject to change, so it’s best to check the Utah DPS website or contact their office directly for the most current fee information.

It’s important to note that additional costs may arise, such as those related to CDL training programs, medical examinations, and background checks.

For the most accurate and up-to-date information on CDL requirements and fees in Utah, please refer to the official website of the Utah Department of Public Safety or contact their office directly.

CDL Effective Changes and FAQs


The ELDT regulations set the minimum Federal requirements for training that entry-level drivers must complete before being permitted to take certain commercial driver license (CDL) skills or knowledge tests on or after February 7, 2022.

FMCSA’s ELDT regulations set the baseline for training requirements for entry-level drivers. This includes those applying to:

  • Obtain a Class A or Class B CDL for the first time;
  • Upgrade an existing Class C CDL to a Class B or Class A CDL;
  • Upgrading an existing class B CDL to a Class A CDL; or
  • Obtain a school bus (S), passenger (P), or hazardous materials (H) endorsement for the first time.

The ELDT consists of two (2) different types of training, Theory and Behind the Wheel (Range/Public Road.) Theory training can be completed prior to applying for the Class/Endorsement. However, a permit has to be obtained before any Behind the Wheel training can be administered.

The ELDT regulations are not retroactive; the entry-level driver training requirements do not apply to individuals holding a valid CDL or an S, P, or H endorsement issued prior to the ELDT compliance date. However, a commercial learner permit (CLP) renewal will require ELDT compliance before a skills test can be administered.

The ELDT regulations do not apply to individuals who:

  • Obtains a permit prior to the ELDT compliance date or obtains a CDL before the permit or renewed permit expires;
  • Military personnel who meet all requirements and conditions of 49 CFR 383.77 & UCA 53-3-410; or
  • Individuals applying for the removal of a restriction from their current CDL (Manual(E), Airbrake(L), Tractor-Trailer(O), etc.)

For more information regarding the ELDT, please visit

For information on how to become an approved Training Provider, please visit


All CDL drivers who operate Commercial Motor Vehicles (CMV) on public roads, their employers, and service agents must register with the Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse. 

If the Utah Driver License Division receives notification from the Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse that an individual is prohibited from operating a commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV), the Driver License Division will not be able to issue, renew, upgrade, or transfer a commercial driver’s license (CDL), or commercial learner’s permit (CLP), until the individual has completed the return-to-duty process and the Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse has cleared the driver for operating a CMV. 

For information regarding the Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse or the return-to-duty process, please visit


49 CFR 383.141 requires an individual transporting Hazardous material to pass a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) background check and be renewed at least every five (5) years to maintain the endorsement. 

Effective March 1, 2020, TSA issued an exemption that enables State Driver License Agencies (SDLA’s) to issue the Hazmat endorsement to a valid TWIC holder without a new security threat assessment from TSA under certain requirements.

To verify eligibility, please schedule an appointment with a Driver License office and present your TWIC card for verification. 

Find A Trucking School Near You


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *