Getting your CDL in Wyoming

To obtain a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) in Wyoming, follow the step-by-step process outlined below. Please note that prices mentioned are approximate and subject to change. For the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding CDL application fees and procedures in Wyoming, it is recommended to visit the official website of the Wyoming Department of Transportation or contact them directly.

1. Determine Eligibility: Ensure you meet the eligibility criteria to qualify for a CDL in Wyoming. This typically includes being at least 18 years old for intrastate driving or 21 years old for interstate driving. You will also need a valid Wyoming driver’s license and must provide proof of US citizenship or lawful permanent residency.

2. Study the CDL Manual: Obtain a copy of the Wyoming CDL Manual, available online or from the Wyoming Department of Transportation. Thoroughly study this manual to understand the rules, regulations, and procedures related to operating commercial vehicles.

3. Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP): Visit a local Wyoming Department of Transportation driver services office and apply for a CLP by passing the written knowledge tests specific to your desired CDL type. The fee for obtaining a CLP in Wyoming is approximately $40.

4. Training: Consider enrolling in a CDL training program offered by a reputable truck driving school to acquire the necessary skills and knowledge required to pass the CDL skills test. The cost of training programs varies depending on the school and program you choose.

5. Skills Test: Schedule an appointment with the Wyoming Department of Transportation to take the CDL skills test. This test usually includes a pre-trip vehicle inspection, basic control skills, and an on-road driving examination. The approximate fee for the skills test in Wyoming is around $80.

6. Background Checks and Endorsements: Depending on the type of CDL and endorsements you seek, additional background checks and specialized knowledge tests may be required. Fees for these tests vary based on the specific endorsement.

7. License Issuance: After successfully completing all necessary tests, paying the required fees, and meeting additional requirements, the Wyoming Department of Transportation will issue you a CDL. The license fee for a five-year CDL in Wyoming is approximately $45.

Remember to visit the official website of the Wyoming Department of Transportation or contact them directly for the most accurate and current information regarding CDL application procedures and fees in Wyoming.

To obtain a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) in Wyoming, you need to go through a process that includes meeting specific requirements, completing training, passing written and practical exams, and paying the necessary fees. Please note that the information provided is based on the knowledge available up until September 2021, and there may have been updates or changes since then. It’s always best to consult the official website of the Wyoming Department of Transportation (DOT) for the most accurate and up-to-date information.

Here is a general outline of the CDL process in Wyoming:

1. Determine the CDL Class: Wyoming offers several classes of CDL, including Class A, Class B, and Class C, depending on the type of vehicle you plan to operate.

2. Eligibility Requirements: Ensure you meet the basic requirements set by the Wyoming DOT. You must be at least 18 years old for an intrastate CDL (within Wyoming) or 21 years old for an interstate CDL (across state lines). You must have a valid regular driver’s license and provide proof of legal presence in the United States.

3. Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP): Before obtaining a CDL, you will need to obtain a Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP). To get a CLP, you need to pass a written knowledge test specific to the class of CDL you’re seeking. The test covers topics like general knowledge, air brakes (if applicable), combination vehicles (if applicable), and any endorsements you may need. You must also pass a vision screening and provide proper identification.

4. CDL Training: While not mandatory, it is highly recommended to complete a CDL training program to receive professional instruction and hands-on training. CDL training programs can be found at commercial driving schools or community colleges. These programs help prepare you for the CDL skills test and provide valuable knowledge and experience.

5. Skills Test: Once you’ve obtained your CLP and completed your training, you can schedule an appointment with the Wyoming DOT to take the CDL skills test. The skills test typically includes a pre-trip inspection, basic vehicle control, and an on-road driving test. You may also need to complete additional tests for specific endorsements.

6. Endorsements: If you plan to operate vehicles with additional features or requirements, such as carrying hazardous materials, transporting passengers, or driving a tanker, you may need to obtain specific endorsements. Endorsements require additional written tests and possibly additional skills tests.

7. Fees: The fees associated with obtaining a CDL in Wyoming may vary. As of my knowledge cutoff in September 2021, the base fee for a CDL in Wyoming is $70 for a four-year license. There may be additional fees for specific endorsements or other services. These fees are subject to change, so it’s best to check the Wyoming DOT website or contact their office directly for the most current fee information.

It’s important to note that additional costs may arise, such as those related to CDL training programs, medical examinations, and background checks.

For the most accurate and up-to-date information on CDL requirements and fees in Wyoming, please refer to the official website of the Wyoming Department of Transportation or contact their office directly.

CDL and DOT Medical Questions?  Call 307-777-4800 option #4 for a representative, Monday-Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, closed holidays.

Commercial Drivers License (CDL)

Generally, if the vehicle you drive has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more, or is designed to carry 16 or more passengers (including the driver), or you transport hazardous material in an amount which must be placarded, then you are required to have a Commercial Driver License (CDL) to operate that vehicle. If you need more detailed information to determine if you are required to hold a CDL, please refer to the “Do You Need a CDL?” chart shown below.


Entry-Level Driver Training

The Entry Level Driver Training (ELDT) regulations set uniform minimum training standards for entry level drivers seeking to obtain certain commercial driver licenses (CDLs) and CDL endorsements as established in 49 CFR part 380 subpart F.

Entry level drivers include those applying to:

  • Obtain a Class A or Class B CDL for the first time;
  • Upgrade a Class B to a Class A CDL;
  • Obtain a School Bus (S), Passenger (P), or Hazardous Materials (H) endorsement for the first time.

For more information on ELDT Requirements, click here.


Use the links to the right to find specific information concerning ELDT requirements, disqualifications, endorsements/class of licenses, testing, Commercial Learners Permit (CLP), and driver certification.



Commercial Drivers

Commercial drivers are subject to FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration) regulations; therefore, you are required to present a current federal DOT Medical Certificate when applying for a Wyoming CDL license, unless you are exempt from this requirement. If you need assistance determining your qualification category, please refer to the CMV Qualification Category Determination document.

If your current CDL license includes a hazardous materials endorsement, you will be required to retake the hazardous materials written test. If you want to add an endorsement when applying for a Wyoming CDL, you may be required to take both the written and driving skills tests appropriate for the type of endorsement.

Driving skills tests for CDL drivers must be scheduled. The examiner will schedule the driving skills test once you have paid the $80 skills test fee and passed any required written testing. Written tests are free of charge and you must provide your own commercial class vehicle for the type of license you are seeking.

After skills testing is completed, the applicant must pay for and be issued a CDL prior to the expiration date of the CLP.


Federal DOT Medical Examiners Certification

A Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration physical is required when applying for a CDL unless exempted by FMCSA Part 390.3(f), 391.2, 391.68, and 398.3.  Information regarding this topic is available on the FMCSA website.  For more information on Driver Certification and its relationship to the Federal DOT Medical Examiners Certification, please visit the Driver Certification page.


Intrastate Waiver

For Commercial Driver License holders who are not physically qualified to drive a commercial motor vehicle under Title 49 C.F.R. Part 391.41 due to vision, hearing or diabetes, or a driver with a loss or impairment of limbs (arms, hands, fingers, legs or feet), the State of Wyoming will review the medical history of the driver who wants to operate motor vehicles intrastate, solely within the State of Wyoming.


The National Certified Examiner’s statement must show that the driver’s medical condition is not likely to interfere with the driver’s ability to safely operate a commercial motor vehicle; and the doctor’s opinion is that the driver’s condition is likely to remain stable for the amount of time that the medical certificate is valid. 


The driver is required to obtain a U.S. Department of Transportation Medical Examiner’s Certificate from a National Registered Certified Examiner.  The section “Accompanied by a ____ waiver/exemption” shall be selected by the Medical Examiner, and the words “Intrastate”, “State” or “Wyoming” filled in the blank.  Upon approval, the State of Wyoming will place a Restriction of “K” on the Commercial Driver License holder’s license. 

Skill Performance Evaluation (SPE) Waivers

Drivers with physical impairments which affect their ability to safely operate CMVs according to their medical examiners, or with missing limbs (e.g., a hand or finger, an arm, foot or leg), are required to obtain SPE certificates.  Drivers in need of an SPE Waiver must contact FMCSA, as this is not a function of the State.


Questions regarding federal regulations for commercial drivers should be directed to or by calling 307-772-2305.

Driver License Fees

Effective July 1, 2021, driver license fees will increase per state law. See the FAQ page, or the below link.

Driver License Fee Updates

Find A Trucking School Near You


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *